As the capital of Scotland, there is lots to do in Edinburgh. You will have some free time on the trip, so make the most of it and try to cross off as much of this list as you can... you won't be lost for things to do!
Princes Street Gardens
- Abbey and Palace of Holyroodhouse: a royal residence, with the Queen's Gallery containing a function of art from the Royal Collection.
- St. Gile's Cathedral
- Edinburgh Castle: home to the Edinburgh Tattoo and situated on one of the highest points of the city. It's been in use for over 1000 years.
- Mary King's Close: a warren of underground medieval streets.
- Gladstone's Land: a 17th century house with period furniture.
- Greyfriar's Kirkyard: a 17th century graveyard, made famous by Disney as the home of Greyfriars Bobby.
- Camera Obscura: focuses light from the top of a tower into a large dish allowing a 360-degree view of Edinburgh.
- Scottish Parliament
- Grassmarket area: home to a selection of independent shops, cafes, restaurants and bars.
- Scott Monument: you can climb this Gothic monument to enjoy views of Edinburgh.
- The Royal Yacht Britannia: tour the royal apartments and see the many gifts offered to the royals by dignitaries worldwide.
- Royal Botanic Garden
- Edinburgh Zoo
- Museums: Museum of Scotland, Royal Museum, National Gallery of Scotland, Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Fruitmarket Gallery
- Water of Leith: the small river that meanders through Edinburgh.
- Calton Hill: climb this hill to see some of Edinburgh's most iconic monuments.
- Folk music: experience this in one of the pubs in the Old Town!
- Arthur's Seat: this 251m-high extinct volcano offers great views from its summit.